U athletes Fall 2017 Note
Hi U-Level Parents,
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. As the end of August approaches, the Edelweiss Racing Team Executive and head coach Mario Gagnon are in the process of planning the fall and early season activities for the 2017/18 ski racing season. We will again be running a dryland training program this fall, open to U level athletes, starting Saturday, September 9. Dryland sessions will run each Saturday from 9 am to 11 am until November 11, excluding the Thanksgiving weekend (total of 9 weeks). Most sessions, including the first session on September 9 will be held at Des Fees Lake Trail in Gatineau Park. We will hold a couple sessions at Edelweiss and we expect that SQA Fitness Testing will also be scheduled on one of the dryland weekends (to be determined). For each dryland session athletes are reminded to dress appropriately for exercise and the weather and to bring a water bottle.
The cost for the Saturday dryland training will be $100 per athlete, which includes coaching costs, use of training equipment and a dryland t-shirt. Please respond to this email with your athlete’s t-shirt size. Payment and the attached completed registration form will be collected on September 9 at with dryland registration. Cheques can be made out to Edelweiss Racing Team (or Equipe de Course Edelweiss). Please note that we are working on money transfer options for future transactions.
In addition to the Saturday dryland training we are working on a mid-week evening dryland training option starting later in the fall (aimed at U14 and U16 athletes). Last year we offered this with the Functional Training Academy. This facility has relocated so we are looking at other facilities. Please let us know if you have any suggestions!
The following are some important dates to keep in mind. These will be added to the Calendar on the Edelweiss Racing Team website soon. Please check for updates! (http://teamedelweissequipe.com/calendar/)
- September 9 to November 11: Dryland training (Des Fees Lake Trail or Edelweiss, 9 am to 11 am)
- October 9: Deadline for discounted program fees with Les Sommets
- November 18: Optional training day* at Mont St- Sauveur
- November 24-Dec 3rd: for any U16 athletes interested, there is the opportunity to join other zone athletes on a pre-season camp in the Canadian Rockies. Details to be communicated.
- November 25: Optional training day* at Mont St-Sauveur (note that some families and coaches will be in Killington to watch the World Cup race, no training available at Killington)
- December 2: Optional training day* at Mont St-Sauveur or Edelweiss
- December 7-10: Optional pre-season training trip* (location TBD, last year was Sunday River, ME)
- December 16: Start of competitive (U-level) race program (Edelweiss)
- December 27-30, January 2-3: Start for Nancy Greene athletes and Christmas Camp**
* – Additional coaching fees will be collected for optional pre-season training on a pay-as-you-go basis. We are considering afternoon/evening skis sessions at Mont St- Sauveur due to smaller crowds than in the early season mornings.
** – Addition coaching fees for some Christmas Camp days may be required, in addition to the Les Sommets registration costs, depending on the final race schedule and number of corresponding coaching days required.
We are planning many activities as part of the dryland sessions, including: nutritionist session, ski equipment swap, an AGM open to all parents including NG, ski tuning/equipment session with Kunstadt. Details will be communicated soon.
Please reply to this email by Tuesday, September 5th if your athlete is participating in the Saturday morning and/or Wednesday evening sessions. (T-shirt size as well!)
President, Edelweiss Racing Team